Medical Writer - CME Grants
Location: Field USA
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
Medscape Education is seeking an experienced grant writer to play a primary role in the development of proposals seeking funds to develop continuing medical education (CME) programs, which are published on the leading healthcare professional education site, Medscape.org. This is a field-based position (i.e., work from home).
Working within the cardiovascular and metabolic therapeutic areas (CV-Mets vertical), the writer is responsible for all steps and interactions required to write and prepare proposals for submission within agreed focus, budget and time scale to the highest quality and with minimal supervision. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
· Ensure proposals are clinically appropriate and instructionally sound and adhere to ACCME standards
· Lead proposal initiation calls with internal stakeholders to obtain details and direction for proposal development, confirming timelines, clinical focus, and educational tactics, and outcomes assessment plans
· Write clear and succinct needs assessments that provide evidence for identified clinical practice gaps, that follow recognized standards, and are supported by internal and external data
· Use internal templates and tools to write proposals that tell a compelling story on the rationale, instructional intent, and value of the proposed educational solution
· Incorporate revisions based on input from cross-functional internal and external proposal reviewers, including account managers, clinical strategists, medical education directors, and copyeditors, to ensure high-quality grant submissions and improve likelihood of external grant awards
· Bachelor's degree in life sciences, public health, clinical sciences, journalism, technical writing, or English may also be considered or equivalent years of experience; advanced degree in a medical or science-related specialty is a differentiator
· 2 years’ experience in writing and editing within the medical education field, including work at a medical education/communications company, professional medical publisher, academic institution/hospital/university center, or medical society; previous grant writing for a medical education or scientific organization is a differentiator.
· Background in the fields of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, obesity, and other metabolic disorders a differentiator
· Excellent editorial (editing and writing) skills, preferably in the area of grant/proposal and needs assessment development
· A flexible mindset and excellent time management and organizational skills to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously in a highly deadline-driven environment, while taking into consideration stakeholders based across multiple time zones
· Ability to deliver results with minimum supervision by suggesting plausible solutions and creatively using existing resources in a productive and/or innovative way to quickly deal with unforeseen issues and to ensure that timelines are consistently met
· Superior communication and interpersonal skills (encompasses verbal, written, listening)
· Excellent computer skills, which include working remotely on shared networks and cloud-based systems
· Attention to detail with high level of accuracy
· Positive attitude, very high energy, and willingness to accept varied assignments
· Availability for a limited amount of travel (~10%)
· Ability to maintain friendly and productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders through clear articulation and an effective communication style
· Process oriented, able to find new ways to improve existing processes and to learn and adapt to evolving processes
· At least 2 years’ experience working with cross-functional teams and external partners toward common objectives
· Superior ability to describe medical/public health issues, clinical scenarios, and complex scientific data to a non-technical audience
· Superior ability to incorporate data, visuals, and narrative into a compelling written story
· High degree of proficiency using Microsoft Word; at least basic skill level in Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat
· Experience using Salesforce, SharePoint Online, Workfront, and Tableau